Daily Fishing and Outdoor Report
Wednesday, September 07, 2016: I’m in a bit of a null zone, something like a mini post tropical stress disorder … or might it be your everyday post-tropical depression? It’s kinda boring out there, as winds have died to almost nothing, late-day.
That said, I’m not wild about arriving unseasonable warmth, bordering on heat, during which my mainland haunts will surely hit the 90s. The Island should have occasional ocean breezes, though mixed with sultry offshore winds – and flies. This will go on through the arriving weekend.
Not that a name makes much of a difference when your legs are being ferociously bitten by speedy flies on the beach but the common "black fly" name is duly descriptive but a bit off the proper ID mark. The SOB biters that blow in on west winds by the thousands are, technically, stable flies, Stomoxys calcitrans. I know ... so what?
Below: Photog Kevin Knutsen meets the beasts
The ocean remains dirty. By that I simply mean discolored, not polluted at all. I’m still pissed at that misread that closed some beaches because of alleged high fecal counts. I’m still convinced those beach-closing reads were anomalies from tests being taken in water from beach overwash runoff – which likely did have a very short-lived showing of gull crap influences.
BEACH LOOK: I checked a slew of beaches today and many were in good to very good shape.
Remember, even though we never got the hideous Hermine hit, we had three days of powerful, short-period, northerly wind waves. They tested the system.
The south end sands were wobbled but, on a whole, LBI’s beach sands easily held – and are already returning, via berm formations.
As to those areas that took an erosional hit, I’m awaiting ACE’s read. Right now, I’m betting fixed will consist of mechanical (front-loader) repairs at the municipal level.
NJ’S BEACH MONEY: It’s probably not the worst time to mention there is a state/legislative effort to double the available emergency beach repair funds. I’m not sure where that’ll go but please realize that we – we, as in NJ taxpayers – saved a mighty mint when the feds covered the post-Sandy replenishments.
In August 2016 legislation to double state funding for beach replenishment and construction and maintenance of bulkheads, jetties, and seawalls was approved by the Assembly Environment and Solid Waste Committee. The Senate committee also passed a Senate version sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew. The bills would increase from $25 million to $50 million the amount that is credited each year to the Shore Protection Fund from the collection of realty transfer fees.
Here’s important insights into the above, per Kaiser, 2006; King, 2006.
In New Jersey, $25 million is dedicated annually from the legislature for shore protection projects across the entire state. These funds come from New Jersey’s real estate transfer tax. Most of this money goes to the state share of federal projects with USACE. USACE generally funds 65 percent of these nourishment projects; the remaining 35 percent of the project is split between the state and the municipality. The state/local share in New Jersey is split 75 percent/25 percent, so it only costs the municipality nine cents out of every dollar to finance beach nourishment. New Jersey is also engaged in smaller state/local projects with no federal involvement, financed also at a 75 percent/25 percent state/local ratio. The municipalities typically raise bond revenues for their portion and counties sometimes fund a portion to help defer the local costs.
WE COOL-SHOULDERED HERMINE: I’m not harping on Hermine but I do want to mention a read I got as she was moving off shore -- being forecasted to intensify rapidly, nearshore.
While it’s merely a theory on my part, I believe the 48 hours of onshore winds preceding Hermine -- while she was still a mainland matter – cooled the ocean surface from the beachline and out a goodly distance. It showed on the maps.
That “goodly distance” might have been an LBI-saver.
Tropical systems are heat-seeking entities. When Hermine first moved out to sea, she wasn’t overly warmed by the greeting she got close in. In an almost exploratory manner, she inched eastward, essentially sniffing out warmer surface waters, i.e. those less cooled by the previous surface winds. She soon found some, and engorged on its energy – thankfully, just out of reach of us.
For me, this is a theory worth keeping on hand, should a similar set-up show again someday.
For sea temps see: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/contour/
Kid in yellow, "..... My brother the dumb-ass."