Daily Fishing and Outdoor Report

Monday, July 24, 2017: Yes, there has been fewer and fewer blogs herein. I’ve hit a not unexpected impasse ...

You mean to say it simply hadn't been tried before? 

The flying penguins


My idea of venting using a cat ... 

Ceiling cat fail


A highly-uncertain hummingbird ... 


Monday, July 24, 2017: Yes, there has been fewer and fewer blogs herein. I’ve hit a not unexpected impasse between mandatory job-related writing and my highly preferred blog writing in here. The problem is “highly preferred” won’t pay the mortgage.

I must note that I’m no longer doing an annual fund drive in here. I hate to be negative – and anyone who knows me knows I’m the epitome of anti-negative – but, being real, by not taking donations I can pull the plug on this 20-year-old blog, should the mental need arise.

 baby money cash make it rain little rascals GIF

That said, I’m still standing strong, albeit momentarily quite inconsistent. I really do appreciate when folks say they enjoy a read or two in here – and prove it with some reports or even comments I can publish. Also, it would help immensely if readers could share this website. Maybe an influx of new blood will work on my brain also.

As to fishing, I picked up a goodly number of angling reports. Thanks much.

In-the-know fluke folks continue to do very nicely, close to remarkably well in some instance, mainly bayside.

I hear some of you haven’t been catching squat on the flattie front. In all due respect, probably no other gamefishery in NJ is more dominated by sharpies. Not only do they know the spots but they also know the myriad of sometimes highly subtle fluking tricks needed to nab fluke on any given day.

Then, there are the fluking magicians. These are anglers who can pull fluke out of a hat, even when others are chasing rabbits, so to speak. Having once been a dedicated headboat fluker, I saw with utter confusion and amazement how the same fluking magicians indubitably out-hooked even crowded boatloads of anglers – same boat, same bait, same drift, same sun, same side of the vessel but nobody could out-catch them. There might be a whole other side of angling that might need EKGs to understand. The greatest surfcasting magician I’ve ever knew was one Jim White. For my own peace of angling mind, I’d never fish anywhere within eyesight of him.

Kingfishing is spotty -- no pun intended, since kings can look very splotchy when first reeled in. Those surfcasters finding deep enough near-beach water to fish for kings are scoring maybe a dozen take-homes per session. There are also some very small ones in the mix, usually released.

Terry got these on Saturday morning. It's a morning bite!

From an epicurean angle, these delicious fish are best cooked in the round; simply gutted and baked. This maximizes the meat take. Kingfish is so tasty, it can be dipped in drawn butter, lobster-style. Try it. You’ll thank me.

Stripers are iffy but waters from Barnegat Inlet northward are holding some trophy bass, best found on the troll. I got report of a 30-pounder taken last week, thereabouts (off IBSP).

Bassing along the beach is being all but neutralized by sandbars popping way out of the water. I saw a couple casters in HC walking out to cast from the bars, with apparently no repercussions from the guards. Of course, there were also tons of beachgoers walking the sandbars so it wasn't what I'd call a serene scene. 


That was a dang decent downpour Sunday into Monday. It put a damper on the plans of folks who regularly wait until Monday morn to depart from weekend stay-overs on LBI.

Island roads were heavily awash, flashflood-wise – though in a quite-usual way.  Here’s hoping this won’t lead to a flood of sea-rise idio-overreaction.

I have glowing B&W photos proving that back-when downpours brought the same insta street flooding as nowadays. Many a mid-1960s pics shows us kids merrily swimming around in the inundated streets, emerged up to our little necks -- and somewhat manically smiling. Actually, I’m not sure if it was technically “merrily swimming around,” since the accumulative effects of road pollution chemicals might also have had us in an altered state -- to where all our parents would eventually have to rush in and slap us in the face a couple time good, all, “Snap out of it!” I recall coming to and asking, “So, what’s for dinner?” Times were simpler – and way odder – back then.

Anyway, I took a 3.01-inch rainfall reading on Monday morning, the culmination of rain that came in gushes from 11 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday.

The cloud-bursting night was a blessing for many a drought-dried LBI garden, like mine, which has gone strictly indigenous, quite on its own. Beloved local weeds have easily won out over invasively planted parsley, cilantro, cabbage and lettuce. Did you know that lettuce, when being raced for sunlight by weeds, will ignore leafing out in an edible manner and instead bolt upright? Just sayin’.

As to the rapid rainfall easing the drought conditions we’re under, it takes more than a single dose of rain to douse a drought. Sure, it helps, small-scale. It even looks good on the rain-amount charts used to gauge drought. However, fast rains instantly get drunk dry by sandy soils. When the ground is thirsty enough, even three inches of moisture will be sucked out of sight, downwardly, within 24 hours.

On an ecological upside, Pinelands road puddles, which now serve a vital ecological purpose, will hold water for a goodly amount of time -- held in place by packed in bottom sediments that prevent downward drainage. These puddles offer long-standing watering holes to furred, scaled and winged wildlife. 

As to the worst impacts of sudden stormage, the bay is in for a brutal eco-beatdown. In fact, this downpour scenario is one of those “worst case’ things. Lacking regular natural road washings prior to this cats-and-dogs hit, tons of road gunk has now been power-washed into the bay. During a lecture in California, targeting of ongoing and unavoidable oil seepage from nearshore derricks, I was rather surprised to hear that petroleum byproducts can be very rich in organics. Oh, not everything likes those organics, as proven by many herbicides and even insecticides containing petroleum stuff. But many some algae eat the stuff up. That’s one dining experience the bay hates offering.

As to anything being done to counter road gung going bayhopping, the best suggestion is everyone immediately stop using the roads. Sorry, bay. I tried. 

Pro report: 

I hate to bring attention to it, but the Barnegat Bay Fluke bite has been "flat-out amazing".  We have been consistently catching over 40 Fluke per trip with keepers ranging from 3 to 11.  I have been concentrating most of our efforts in shallow-water, but the fish are starting to move and I'm finding them in some of my honey holes.  Yes, there are Bluefish at the inlet, but with the Fluke bite this good - it is game on in the backwaters.  I will start running Ocean Fluke trips soon, but I'm not getting positive feedback and we will stay on the fish until the bite dies.  

Here is this week's rundown:  

Amongst running charters almost everyday, I did a quick trip with my wife Jennifer and 9yr old son Luke  we caught over 20 Fluke with two nice keepers at 24 and 23 inches.  We only fished for about 2 hours, and it was non-stop action even in wind-against-tide conditions.

I had Eric Ebinger of Warrington, PA along with his son Chad and daughter Mackenzie on a 4hr Bay/Inlet charter. The trio wanted to concentrate their efforts on Fluke, so we opted out of the inlet Bluefish bite. We started working some shallow water areas at it was game on with the team boating over 45 Fluke with 7 keepers (24.5, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18.5, 18). Eric’s was the biggest at 24.5 inches, but a great job by all working the S&S Bigeye through the shallows.

Next, I had return clients Dan Unger of Ship Bottom, his son Danny, and Art Diebel of Jackson with his son Walter on a 4hr Bay/Inlet charter. With the Fluke bite pretty solid over the last few charters, we concentrated our efforts on the flatties. The crew caught and released over 40 Fluke, while keeping 5 solid ones for the table (24, 22, 21, 19, 18.5). We worked another shallow area with the white S&S BigEye bucktails – that’s what the keepers wanted!!

I had return client Mike Geddis and his two boys, Ethan and Nate, of Cream Ridge on a 4hr Bay/Inlet charter. We worked the same area, with the only difference being wind against tide conditions for the first hour or so. It didn’t matter in terms of numbers, as the trio still managed over 40 Fluke with 3 nice keepers (21.5, 19.5, 18). Great job by the boys!!

I had Juliann Jakeman of Waretown, her father Don Jakeman of Waretown, and her sister Dr. Allison Jakeman of Florida on a 4hr Bay/Inlet charter. Juliann and her sister booked the trip as a Father’s Day present, and Allison flew up specifically for the charter. We worked multiple areas in the bay and the trio had a ton of action catching and releasing over 50 Fluke, while keeping 8 for the table (23, 22.5, 22, 21, 19.5, 19, 18.5, 18). They did a great job and look forward to seeing them in November for Striped Bass!!

We will be out almost everyday next week!

Capt. Brett Taylor 
Reel Reaction Sportfishing LLC
cell: 609-290-7709


Did a fishing crew catch the biggest shark in state history?

BRIELLE -- A fishing boat named the Jenny Lee caught a 926-pound Mako shark Saturday morning and it could be the largest shark catch in New Jersey history.

The crew was fishing 100 miles off of the coast of New Jersey in an area known as Hudson Canyon. It took the crew a little over an hour to reel in the shark and hour and a half to get him into the boat, Kevin Gerrity, captain of the Jenny Lee, said.

"It's a pretty awesome feeling," Gerrity said. "We saw him swimming up to the boat. We didn't think we were going to get him but we got him."

"We were able to get him with a skipjack fillet with a squid combo as his last meal," Gerrity added jokingly. 

In all, the combination of Matt Lockett, Nick Rondinella, Bill Miccio, Steve Miccio, Mark Miccio, Matt Miccio and Matt Lockett took turns at the fishing pole to try to bring in the big Mako shark.  Mark Miccio said that the fish was so big, that it was almost pulling people overboard in while they were in a harness. 

"Captain Dave and Captain Kevin were great," said Miccio. "We wouldn't have gotten that shark if it were not for them." 

According to the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, the record weight for a shark was an 880-pound tiger shark caught off the coast of Cape May in 1988.

The Hudson Canyon has been an area that is populated by tuna, marlins and mako sharks. The canyon has produced multiple record setting fish. The heaviest fish ever recorded happened in 1986 when a 1,046-pound blue marlin was also caught in the Hudson Canyon. 

Chris Franklin can be reached 

Fishing crew sets new N.J. record with 926-pound Mako shark catch

The Jenny Lee Sportfishing crew poses with the record breaking Mako shark in Brielle on Saturday. (Image: Jenny Lee Sportfishing)
The Jenny Lee Sportfishing crew poses with the record breaking Mako shark in Brielle on Saturday. (Image: Jenny Lee Sportfishing)

The Jenny Lee Sportfishing crew, captained by Kevin Gerrity and Dave Bender, was fishing about 100 miles off the state coast in an area known as Hudson Canyoan on Saturday.

The 12-foot shark was weighed and displayed in Brielle later that day.

Gerrity says they didn't think they could manage to catch the shark. It took more than two hours to pull it aboard.

"We set up at night for Mako sharks and swordfish, and at about 11, the shark rod goes screaming," Bender posted on the charter boat's Facebook page.  "After about an hour and a half of backing down we had the fish gaffed boatside. That was the easy part. It took another hour and six guys to get the one Mako through the tuna door." 

"Fish of a lifetime to say the least," he added. 

The New Jersey Division Fish and Wildlife says the previous record weight for a shark caught was an 880-pound tiger shark caught off Cape May in 1988.

The Hudson Canyon is populated by a number of large fish, and has produced multiple record setting fish catches.


The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

The endless summer flounder season.


Skunked this morning but look what David J put us on tonight! 22" 4.2 lbs
 — at Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club.



Brendan S Graham added 2 new photos — with Vikki Vohden Graham.
Yesterday at 4:02pm · Beach Haven, NJ
Toggy time. First two drops with the 8 lb test setup. Nice twins. Made my day.


(Kingfish still in the system)

Jean Deery Schaum
My turn. Only caught 4 today!


Paul Tomosi 


JCAA Fluke Tournament – Sign up by 7/24 for Early Incentives

     On August 5th, 2017, the Jersey Coast Anglers Association will hold its 23rd Annual Fluke Tournament. This year there will be special cash prizes for early entrants (enter by 7/24) who catch the largest fluke, 1st place - $1000., 2nd place - $500 and 3rd place - $250.  We will also have a doormat fluke category with a $50,000 cash prize for the largest fluke over 12 lbs.  There will be nine ports (weigh-in stations) with identical 1st to 10th place prizes for each port. First place for each port will be $1200 cash which is guaranteed regardless of the number of entrants. For 2nd - 10th place, valuable merchandise prizes will be awarded from Canyon Reels, Costa, The Fisherman Magazine, Fuel Ox, Tica, Tony Maja and others.  Ports will be located at Liberty Landing in Jersey City, Gateway Marina in Sandy Hook, Fisherman’s Den in Shark River, Hoffman’s Marina in Manasquan River, South Harbor Marina in Barnegat Bay, Fisherman’s Headquarters on Long Beach Island, Great Bay Marina in Great Bay, Fin-Atics Marine Supply in Ocean City and Jim’s Bait and Tackle in Cape May.

     Additionally, there will be $50 and $100 port Calcuttas and $50 and $100 Overall Calcuttas. The awards ceremony will be held at 7:00 PM on August 10th at the Clarion Motel in Toms River. Rooms will be available at a discounted rate for tournament participants provided that reservations are made in advance. There will be free cheeseburgers, hot dogs, mozzarella sticks, soda, coffee and tea at the ceremony. There will also be plenty of door prizes at the ceremony and a huge 50/ 50. To top everything off there will be a Grand Prize Drawing for a Starcraft boat, Yamaha engine and a Yacht Club Trailer.

The early entry fee is $130 per boat (up to 6 anglers) if paid by 7/24. After 7/24 the fee is $160. For complete details and/or to register online visit www.jcaa.org or call the JCAA office at 732-506-6975. Details will also be available on our Facebook page where tournament results will be posted as soon as possible after the conclusion of the tournament.


Paul Haertel JCAA Board Member/Past President



Michael Giberson Sr. added 2 new photos — with Michael Giberson.
Michael Jr. & I went fishing last night. We landed 5 Flounder with these instrument called a Gig. You spotlight the Flounder then stab the fish. It was certainly a new way of fishing for us! Thank you OMC FISHING ADVENTURE for our fun fishing trip/experience. (Good time)


So I caught this extinct fish the other day.


Caught under the 



The day before Tadashi Nakahara was killed by a shark, I was surfing at the same location. It was late afternoon, the waves were small and the wind onshore. Suddenly, I saw a school of large fish in the face of a wave. I pushed through the wave and sat up on my board, marvelling at what I had just seen. They were good sized fish. I sat there for a little while and then it occurred to me that something might have been chasing them. So, I turned to go in, but it was too shallow to paddle across the reef, so I started paddling around the reef to where I could access the beach. Then I noticed some turbulence about four metres in front of me. So I paddled straight to shore and exited the water about five metres from where Tadashi died the next day.

A couple of months after the attack, I made an appointment with Ballina Council to ask what I should do after seeing a shark. Three times I had sat in my car wondering how long I should hang around in case anyone arrived ready to paddle out where a shark had just been seen. I was told that electronic notice boards were being considered, even though Council was not actually responsible for what happens in the ocean. I don’t know what happened to that idea, but two years after the meeting, we still don’t have a reliable system in place.

Then Matthew Lee was attacked at Lighthouse Beach. I was surfing with a couple of guys at the north end when one of them paddled over to me saying that it looked like something was happening at the other end of the beach. I had heard a siren, but figured it was headed somewhere else, since everyone at the lookout was just staring out to sea like normal. They had obviously not noticed the commotion at the other end of the beach. I ran down the beach to see what had happened, but was told tersely to go away. I can’t blame them for being blunt. They were dealing with a horrific injury. I guess I was only trying to digest what was happening. But, nobody had called us out of the water and a few guys were still surfing further north.

Ironically, news of the attack spread rapidly around the world. Journalists descended on Ballina and the mayor had to deal with what seemed like a real-life episode of Jaws. I already knew that bureaucracy was preoccupied with its own preservation. So, I set up a Facebook page called Ballina Shark Reports, which grew rapidly to 6,000 likes, half of them from the local area. Our local parliamentarian mentioned the page in state parliament, suggesting it was an indication of concern felt by the community. But the service itself was not supported by the government, despite numerous attempts by me to get the various authorities involved.

After five weeks and 35 shark reports, I deactivated the page because I was not sure if the service could be relied upon throughout the longer days of summer. Even with a few committed volunteers, it was difficult to monitor every daylight hour. Some people thought the page was bad for tourism. So I was also afraid I might be blamed if any businesses happened to fail, as they often do in a small town anyway. I was disappointed because I knew how much people valued the service. Within minutes of a report coming in, I could see the post being shared across the community. I don’t know how many of these people were surfers, but the number of middle-aged women using the page suggested that a lot of mothers were worried about their sons spending time in the ocean.

I gradually got back into surfing and tried to avoid the topic, especially on my way to the beach. But, you would feel sick every time you heard an ambulance. Then, Sam Morgan was attacked while surfing at Lighthouse Beach – the third attack that year, all within a kilometre of the river mouth. It was really difficult to keep surfing after so many attacks, but there were so many waves going unridden. People also tended to surf in groups, so even if it got semi-crowded at one location, the next beach was usually empty. You would feel courageous just paddling to the next peak. Another bonus was the abundant sea life. One day, a whale ploughed through a set as we duck-dived right beside it. Sometimes you get a fright when a dolphin suddenly pops up next to you or a stingray glides underneath. It is awesome to feel connected with nature. But I don’t like being part of the food chain.

Then Cooper Allen was attacked. I was standing in waist deep water, about five metres away, when I saw a shark in the face of a wave between me and three guys sitting further out. A few seconds later, I heard a shout, followed by the nose of a board sailing through the air. I thought the board had been snapped in half, but the back end was just hidden behind the wave. I jumped over the wave and looked over to where the attack happened, half expecting to see a dismembered body. What I saw was Cooper swimming backwards, away from the shark, which I then realised had swum away with the tail of the board in its mouth. The shark stopped about five metres from Cooper and was thrashing with the board still in its mouth, shuddering vertically in the water. As I paddled toward Cooper, I saw his mates, Tom and Jae paddle toward him. It makes me smile every time I think about that moment. Two young guys trying to protect their mate. How many times must that have happened in human history?

Once again, the media circus begins and as I see Tom and Jae being devoured by Channel Seven, I realise that I have to speak for them. When interviewed by The Australian, I made my position clear. I honestly couldn’t care less if these creatures went extinct. Just because they play a role in the ecosystem doesn’t mean that role can’t be played by other species of shark. At least two peer-reviewed academic papers make that case. But the scientific community is too beholden to environmental ideals to share that information with the public, even when asked to make submissions to a Senate Inquiry debating the matter.

In my submission, I propose that the government withdraw from the debate by allowing interested parties to bid on the fate of dangerous sharks. If people want to protect sharks, they should demonstrate their commitment by spending their own money and not relying on taxpayers. Likewise, if surfers want to enjoy the ocean without the risk of shark attack, they should also pay up. Both sides of the debate should put their money where their mouth is. I can’t see any other way of settling the dispute. Either you value humans or you value sharks. The middleground is an illusion.

The first hearing was held in Sydney, where a cancellation gave me the opportunity to address the committee. The mood was respectable, if a little self-congratulatory, with headstrong environmentalists speaking for the planet. I knew I was speaking for a section of the community, many of whom were reluctant to voice their concerns, for fear of copping abuse for not wanting to sacrifice their children to Gaia. So, I focused on the issue of protecting children from predators. It is a simple idea, but also symbolic of how we have lost our way as a culture. I am hoping that the silent majority teaches the Greens a lesson, because I think they have made a serious blunder on this issue. It is a perfect example of why society must not give in to vocal minorities.


(I see some surf fishing potential here.) 

Wear your Umbrella Hat on your head and leave your hands free!

BUY NOW ➡️ https://goo.gl/NQY6KJ


Views: 528

Comment by Dave Nederostek on July 24, 2017 at 8:21pm

I'd like to take that cat tosser and drop him from 10feet. Upside down.


You need to be a member of jaymanntoday to add comments!

Join jaymanntoday



© 2020   Created by jaymann.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service