Daily Fishing and Outdoor Report

Let it sink in ...  ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Steve George added a new photo.   Here is s…

Let it sink in ... 


Steve George added a new photo.


Here is something pretty special and cool. Ever wonder if you have caught the same fish twice ? I have been tagging for the Berkeley Striper Club for a number of years now and it was a goal of mine to accomplish this. Well, check it off the bucket list not once but twice this past April. This first fish I tagged in Oct./2013 and the other was tagged Nov./2014 - I re-caught both fish within a week of each other in the same Location where they were originally tagged and caught on the same lure they originally hit when first tagged. Both SB were shorts and of course re-released to continue their journey. Thought this was interesting and something you guys would like to hear about.

Steve George's photo.


Join the Orvis Email List and Get,


Well the water temperatures finally started to settle down from last week’s wild swings.  Ocean is in the low 60s and the bay is in the low 70s.  There are still BIG bluefish hanging around the inlet as well as the backside of the inlet.  I had the Anthony Conti crew from Ridgewood, NJ get into some of the action.  My mission was to get Anthony’s 21 year son, Matthew, his first fish.  With the crew boxing two tasty fluke to 22” we then concentrated on bluefish.  The bluefish did not let us down as the gang caught several that went from 7-11 pounds. Here is a picture of Matthew with his fish ever. There are still lots of schoolie stripers to play around with when the tide is right.  Bucktails, BKDs, clam and sandworms have all been effective.  Some days they are feeding even when the sun is bright.  Sunday morning my wife Deb and I fluked off of Waretown.  With absolutely no drift we power drifted and had steady action with shorts and one keeper for fish tacos.  School ends this week so I will be guiding all week long through the summer.  Trips are available anytime of the day. If you want to try something different this summer I will be doing off the beach sharking trips targeting brown sharks on light tackle.  Talk about fun! 

On the nature side: diamond back terrapins have been very active since the bay water warmed up.  They are the only species of turtle worldwide that lives in brackish water, like Barnegat Bay.   

Screaming Drags,

 Capt. Alex www.LighthouseSportfishing.com

Barnegat Bay, NJ


Commercial and Recreational Fishing Industry Making a Strong Comeback
The Christie Administration announced last week that 266 fishing-related businesses will share more than $2.1 million in federal grants to help them recover some costs resulting from damages sustained as a result of Superstorm Sandy.

The grant program focused on helping smaller businesses. Owners of bait-and-tackle shops, commercial dealers, commercial fishermen, for-hire party and charter boat operators, marinas and those involved in shell-fish aquaculture businesses were eligible to apply to the DEP for grants of up to $10,000 to help offset some of the costs of the storm on their operations.

"The DEP and our Marine Fisheries staff have worked tirelessly since Sandy to help these businesses get back on their feet," said DEP Commissioner Bob Martin. "Our economically vital commercial and recreational fishing industries are coming back after the devastation caused by Sandy. This grant program will help our smaller fishing-related businesses recover some of their losses."
Grants were provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as part of a federal fishery disaster declaration for states impacted by Sandy.
Applicants had to document a minimum of $5,000 in losses as a result of Sandy. Grants were awarded to help with repair or replacement of equipment that was not covered by other programs. Activities already paid for out-of-pocket as part of a business' or individual's recovery effort also were eligible.
Examples of losses eligible for reimbursement include lost or damaged fishing gear; lost, damaged or ruined product; replacement and/or repair of other equipment; replacement and repair of infrastructure; and revenue lost in the months immediately after Sandy struck in October 2012.
Grants to marinas and commercial fishermen represented slightly more than half the grant applications approved for funding, with the next largest share to bait-and-tackle shops and for-hire businesses. Grants also were awarded to shellfish harvest/aquaculture businesses and commercial dealers.
"Every little bit helps, that's for sure," said Jason Durante, General Manager of Ocean Marina, which received a $10,000 grant for damages sustained at its Lavallette marina, one of three the company owns. "We're starting to see more and more people on the island. We're seeing the industry come back."
New Jersey's commercial fishing industry is one of the largest on the East Coast, landing roughly 121 million pounds of seafood and generating more than $1 billion in economic activity in 2013. The economic impact of recreational fishing also supports approximately 10,000 jobs and $1.74 billion in annual sales.
For more information about the DEP's ongoing Sandy recovery efforts, including FAQs on beach and boater safety, visit www.state.nj.us/dep/special/hurricane-sandy. ;
For more information on post-Sandy coastal projects in New Jersey, visit www.nj.gov/dep/shoreprotection/projects.htm .



Chasing wild striped bass into extinction

It is the start of Massachusetts’ commercial striped bass season, and each fisherman who has traveled here — whether from across town or from Canada — is anxious to get a line in the water. Chatham is at the epicenter of the mayhem because schools of stripers congregate off its coast, the town’s launches are closest to them, and 60 percent of the one million pounds of Massachusetts striped bass that go to market are caught there each year. The fishery generates approximately $23 million in total economic activity.

But there is a problem.

Striped bass are the most prized sport fish on the Atlantic seaboard, and from May through November hundreds of thousands of anglers come to fish for them from Massachusetts’ beaches and rivers and jetties putting over $1 billion into local economies from Newburyport to New Bedford, Provincetown to Edgartown. Or at least they used to.

Opinions differ as to why, but by every measure the population of striped bass is in sharp decline. In just five years between 2006 and 2011 the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration reports that the recreational catch of striped bass in Massachusetts plummeted by 85 percent! As a result, fishermen and their money are staying away yet all appeals to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission for conservation have run straight into a political wall.

Last year, in the face of a dire outlook for the future of striped bass, a coastwide reduction in catch limits was proposed by Massachusetts’ own director of the Division of Marine Fisheries, yet the two political appointees with whom he serves — both of whom have ties to the commercial fishing industry — opposed their own director, forcing to him to vote against his own measure.

Similarly, a petition signed by more than 1,000 citizens proposing a 50 percent reduction in the recreational and commercial striped bass harvest was presented to the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Council. The nine-member council — eight of whom have direct ties to the commercial fishing industry — denied the petition.

Cooper A. Gilkes of Coop’s Bait and Tackle in Edgartown was among those who signed the petition even though the reduction would work against him in the short term, but he sees the bigger picture. “I want the fish back. I want to go out and catch stripers every night like we used to. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the striped bass are going down quickly,” Gilkes said.

In her seminal environmental portend, Rachel Carson warned of mankind’s indifference to the effect of his actions. Fifty years later we should ask ourselves how we can continue to be this shortsighted when we know our collective actions are working against our shared interests.

The public may believe that it doesn’t have a stake in the outcome of the fight to save wild striped bass, but if the fishery disappears as it did in the 1980s, Massachusetts will lose thousands of jobs and a $1 billion economy. Yet true to the short-sighted nature Rachel Carson described, the self-interest of those responsible for managing our marine resources has blinded them to what is happening and what is at risk.

Should anyone question the generic state of our marine fisheries, just read the daily headlines of declining stocks, disaster relief funds and over-harvesting and then ask how wild stripers can be saved against the unsustainable pressure of a management system heavily tilted to commercial fishermen that thinks only about tomorrow, not the day after.

Dean Clark and Fred Jennings are co-chairs of the Massachusetts chapter of Stripers Forever.


Dense mayfly swarm causes crashes, closes US bridge

  • 14 June 2015
  • A swarm of mayflies hovers over a bridge in Pennsylvania, US
Piles of dead insects were seen strewn across the road

A dense swarm of mayflies caused motorcycle crashes and the overnight closure of a bridge in the US state of Pennsylvania.

The sheer volume of insects reduced visibility, and turned the road surface of the bridge over the Susquehanna River, in Lancaster County, into a treacherous, slippery mess.


Brendan Novotny

Mr. Mako. Lots of steaks off of this guy.
Brendan Novotny's photo.
Had a great day out on the salty lady! Had a great crew yesterday, we laughed and busted balls all day and had action all day! With blues sharks, Browns, hammerheads, of course a few makos as well! Just a stellar day with Ned Ned Miller Justin Suarez Matt brown!
Darren Dorris's photo.
Darren Dorris's photo.
Darren Dorris's photo.

James Allen added a new photo.
22 hrs · iOS · 

James Allen's photo.

Beginning on Friday, July 3, please join us on our Friday morning seining trips at the Cove in Brigantine. Be prepared for a fairly long walk, getting wet, and lots of sun and fun. Meet us Every Friday at 9 am - at the end of Lagoon Blvd at the Cove beach access road. This is just another way that MMSC gives back to our community. call 609-266-0538 for information on classes we present in Long Beach Island and Brigantine, or check our web site- http://www.mmsc.org/education/summer-program-calendar

Educational coordinators at the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, N.J., introduce a group of families to the tiny creatures and lives that are ju...

Japan Fishermen Teaming Up to Preserve Tuna Stocks

SEAFOODNEWS.COM [Asahi Shimbun Company] By TAKAAKI YORIMITSU - June 15, 2015 
Forty years have passed since Yukihiko Takamatsu caught his first tuna, but he recalls the event like it was yesterday.
It was 1975, and Takamatsu was 20 years old when he hooked it, his legs shaking as the fish took off with 100 meters of line.
To Takamatsu's mind, even now, that first tuna was huge.
It weighed 70 kilograms. Since then, he has landed tuna in the 300-kg class.
"Tuna is special," he said. "It has a different sense of presence. Like drugs, once you become attached to tuna you cannot stop. Even small tuna put up an interesting fight. Why? Because it's a tuna."
Now 59, Takamatsu works as a fisherman in Yagishiri, one of two islands off the coast of Haboro, Hokkaido, facing the Sea of Japan. The other island is Teuri.
In summer, the Tsushima warm current carries bluefin tuna to the waters off Yagishiri. That is when Takamatsu gets to work, taking his ship out to sea for a fishing season that lasts until mid-October. In autumn, the waters become rougher, but he still takes out his 4.9-ton boat for four to five hours to reach waters where the tuna can be found.
Takamatsu normally leaves port at about 11 p.m. and fishes from dawn until dusk. He returns to his home port late at night.
Takamatsu said the tuna catch began declining from the early 1990s.
"The last good year was 1993," he said.
The fish became even more scarce from 2000 and beyond.
To Takamatsu's knowledge, the last time tuna weighing more than 100 kg was caught in the Sea of Japan off Hokkaido was 2000 when two were hauled in.
While the fishing season comes to an end in Hokkaido in late January, it is only entering its prime in Ikinoshima island off Nagasaki Prefecture in Kyushu.
Minoru Nakamura, 47, is a fisherman in Katsumoto, a town on the northern edge of the island. In the past, tuna could be caught until March and they fetched good prices.
"At that time of year, there are few tuna in other parts of Japan," he said. "A 110-kg fish could be sold for about 4 million yen ($33,000)."
In 2005, 114 tuna weighing at least 100 kg were caught in Katsumoto alone between January and March. However, the numbers dropped sharply thereafter. In 2011, only seven were caught. While the numbers recovered somewhat to 24 in 2013 and 51 in 2014, it fell back to 10 in 2015.

The money rolled in when the fish were plentiful, but an empty catch meant zero income. With fuel costs running at between 200,000 yen and 300,000 yen ($1,650 and $2,500) a month, a fisherman faced bankruptcy if they did not catch any tuna.
Early 2014 brought Takamatsu and Nakamura together.
That year, Takamatsu heard that fishermen in Ikinoshima had formed a group to preserve the traditional tuna fishing method of "ipponzuri," or hooking fish one at a time with a line and maybe a rod.
Takamatsu jumped on a plane bound for Nagasaki, feeling in his bones that he had to become involved.
The group established by 150 or so Katsumoto fishermen was called "Ikishi Maguro Shigen wo Kangaeru Kai" (Group thinking about tuna resources in Iki city).
The ipponzuri method involves catching fish with a single line. Some fishermen use a rod, while others use a hand-held line. Bait and lures are used to hook the fish.
Kazunari Ogata, 53, the secretary-general of the group, said, "Until a few years ago, tuna would spawn in the waters off Iki."
There are only two areas in the world where the spawning of Pacific bluefin tuna has been confirmed: the waters around the Nansei (southwestern) chain of islands, centered on Okinawa, and the Sea of Japan.

Spawning in the waters near Okinawa takes place between April and June, while spawning in the Sea of Japan occurs between July and August.
Waiting for the schools of tuna that swim to the Sea of Japan are convoys of purse seine fishing boats. A convoy is made up of about five boats, each with a different purpose. One may set the nets while others transport the caught fish. Nets more than 1,000 meters long are used to haul in the tuna. Because it is a costly fishing method, about half of the convoys that net schools of spawning tuna are operated by the subsidiaries of major fishing companies, such as Nippon Suisan Kaisha Ltd. and Maruha Nichiro Corp.
The convoys have agreed among themselves to limit catches between June and August to under 2,000 tons. In 2014, their total catch came to 1,984 tons.
According to the Fisheries Agency, purse seine fishing accounts for slightly more than half of all bluefin tuna caught by Japan. Over time, the catching of tuna during the spawning season has evolved from waters off the Sanriku coast along the Tohoku region to the western edge of the Sea of Japan. From about 2004, the spawning moved to the central Sea of Japan.
Iki fishermen began catching bluefin tuna from about 2000. Although there were many large fish, Iki fishermen had no idea how to catch the tuna.
Nakamura, who heads the Iki Kangaeru Kai, said, "We just tried whatever we thought would work."
When they finally were able to catch the tuna on a regular basis by using live bait, with the boats floating along the current and using rod and reel, the tuna simply dried up.
According to the International Scientific Committee for Tuna and Tuna-like Species in the North Pacific Ocean, the total catch of adult Pacific bluefin tuna in 2012 was 26,000 tons, about 20 percent the level of 1960. With tuna resources declining, the purse seine fishing boats used during the spawning of bluefin tuna were viewed by Nakamura and his group as a major threat to their livelihood.
They formed their group as a means of raising awareness about the problems associated with tuna fishing.

After discussing the matter with Nakamura, Takamatsu also felt the urgency of the issue. He formed his own group after returning to Hokkaido and named it "Jizokutekina Maguroryo wo Kangaeru Kai" (Group thinking about sustainable tuna fishing). The inclusion of sustainable in the group name reflects Takamatsu's view of the issue.
During the months when he is not going after tuna, Takamatsu harvests octopus and sea urchins along the coast of Yagishiri island.
"Regardless of what is being fished, it is important to not place a load on resources," Takamatsu said. "We would not be able to survive if the resource disappeared."
He continues to go out fishing even as he hopes for the day when bluefin tuna will return to Yagishiri.
In Yokohama, the 15th floor of a building near the waterfront is the home of the Fisheries Research Agency. Masanori Miyahara, the president, took on the post after serving as deputy director-general of the Fisheries Agency. He still concurrently holds the position as adviser to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
Like the ipponzuri fishermen, Miyahara also became concerned about the use of purse seine fishing boats during the tuna spawning season.
He felt that another problem was that fishermen were taking tuna that were not yet even two years old.
According to Fisheries Agency statistics, 93 percent of the Pacific bluefin tuna caught were young tuna less than two years old.
Miyahara is especially concerned about young tuna, those about a year old and weighing only 3 kg or so that are being hauled in by the purse seine boats.
"From the late 1990s, the purse seine boats began installing powerful sonar that allowed the boats to accurately find schools of fish," Miyahara said. "The young fish caught were sold for next to nothing in the markets of Tokyo and the Kansai region."
Any limitations on the tuna catch would have to involve an international effort because the bluefin tuna swim great distances in the Pacific Ocean. While young fish not even a year old may be caught near Japan, purse seine fishing boats from South Korea may catch the fish after it survives its first year in the water. Even if the fish manages to live for two years, it will have swam to areas where Mexican fishing boats operate.

In September 2014, Miyahara served as chairman of the Northern Committee within the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission, which held an international meeting in Fukuoka. A proposal made by Japan which was approved by the committee involved catch restrictions on small fish. The agreement called for limiting the catch of fish under 30 kg to half the average catch for the years 2002 until 2004. The restrictions which began from January 2015 apply equally to purse seine fishing boats as well as individual fishermen working their own boats.
Bluefin tuna begin producing eggs when they reach 4 or 5 years of age. Adult tuna can live for more than 20 years.
Miyahara also led the effort by Japanese fishermen to place a limit of 2,000 tons on tuna caught during spawning season in the Sea of Japan. The reasoning for that restriction was that fish at least four years old also had to be protected in order to have any chance of increasing the overall quantity of tuna.
There are arguments over whether 2,000 tons is an appropriate cut-off point.
Hisashi Endo, a councilor at the Fisheries Agency, said, "Efforts must be made to not increase the annual catch of adult fish."
At the same time, Endo indicated further consideration would be given to managing the catch in the Sea of Japan during spawning season.
Miyahara also agreed that the catch limit should be lowered along with moving up the end of fishing season from the current end of August to the end of June.

New tick-borne disease found in N.J. flourishes in late summer

Joseph Gugliotta has an M.D. after his name, signifying that he is a physician, but as an infectious disease specialist, Gugliotta could just as well be described as a detective.

The Flemington physician gained prominence two years ago when he became the first to identify a nasty little tick-borne pathogen called Borellia miyamotoi as the source of a severe human illness.

Now he has co-authored a new paper, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, that starts to give physicians a better understanding of B. miyamotoi and its effect on humans.

One area that stood out among the 51 patients from around the world who had confirmed cases of B. miyamotoi infection was that their illnesses largely centered around the late summer, the study indicated. That suggests B. miyamotoi may do its worst damage when the tick is in the larval stage, Gugliotta said.

With Lyme disease, the majority of illnesses appear to occur in June and early July, so the effect of the two bacteria is to widen the overall risk of tick-borne disease.

"Larval transmission of B. miyamotoi has implications for checking for ticks and continuing tick precautions even after the risk for Lyme disease has abated," said an editorial accompanying the study.

It's difficult to tell one from the other, however, because B. miyamotoi and Lyme look alike at first. Researchers found no telltale distinguishing sign between B. miyamotoi and Lyme, Gugliotta said.

It's likely therefore that doctors have been treating many undiagnosed B. miyamotoi infections for a long time, he said. 

In either case, having an identified new pathogen simply broadens the risk. In addition to B. miyamotoi and Lyme, the deer and wood ticks in north-central New Jersey transmit four other diseases as well, Gugliotta said.

"It's a challenge because all the other things you had for the other months of the year, now you have to worry about the tick-borne illnesses," Gugliotta said from his office at Hunterdon Medical Center. 

Symptoms vary widely. Some people don't feel sick and others have a high fever and other flu-like symptoms, he said.

Fortunately, both the Lyme and B. miyamotoi are treated similarly, with antibiotics such as amoxicillin and doxycycline. 

So why does it matter whether a tick-borne illness was caused by Lyme disease or B. miyamotoi if they're treated the same way?

Gugliotta said it's because there's a lot more to know about B. miyamotoi. Because it's only recently been identified as a human pathogen, it's not yet known if some B. miyamotoi patients will come down with the serious long-term effects as with Lyme disease, including joint pain, cardiac problems and other effects on the central nervous system.

In addition, B. miyamotoi appears to be associated with related bugs that cause recurring flu-like illness, he said, unlike Lyme.

While ticks are particularly a problem now, they're virtually always a problem in places like Hunterdon County, Gugliotta said. Tick-borne disease abates when the first frosts occur, but the bugs can be found in places that stay warmer, such as barns, he said.

The good news for the region is that doctors there know to look for tick bites when patients come to them with non-specific flu-like symptoms, said Tadgh Rainey, Hunterdon County Public Health Division director.

"You're expecting them out here," he said.

Whether the tick is carrying Lyme or B. miyamotoi – or both, since the study also identified "co-infection" as another challenge to doctors – the public health message is the same, Rainey said. Keep your lawn mowed and clear brush from paths in wooded areas on your property. If you have been on a grassy area, check yourself all over for ticks. Remove them immediately.

If you catch them soon enough, they won't do much harm, Gugliotta said.

And what of that first patient who had the B. miyamotoi infection?

That would be Anna Felix of Kingwood Township, who was 80 when the infection left her extremely ill. "She was really at death's door," said her son, Philip.

But since Felix also was a cancer survivor, doctors examined her spinal fluid at the time to see if she had a recurrence. Lab workers found spiral-shaped bacteria that were not a sign of cancer but did suggest something else. It was Gugliotta who sent her blood to a lab in Massachusetts, which finally helped to unravel the mystery.

Anna Felix said once she started getting antibiotics, she needed a week more in the hospital and then four weeks in a rehabilitation center because she needed intravenous fluids.

"After a few months, I felt like my old self again," she said.

The 82-year-old is still tending her garden – and still getting tick bites. Her son helped her remove one just the other day, she said.

Gugliotta knows that there is a lot about B. miyamotoi that he doesn't know, so he said he keeps an eye on Felix and his handful of patients who had the infection.

"I'm keeping my feelers out," he said.

Tim Darragh may be reached at tdarragh@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @timdarragh. Find NJ.com on Facebook.


Views: 614


You need to be a member of jaymanntoday to add comments!

Join jaymanntoday



© 2021   Created by jaymann.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service